Cinco

What does Jesus want us to do for the Sawi?

I believe that Jesus wants us to do the same for the Sawi people as he did for his followers in Bible times. Remembering that the followers of Jesus were not necessarily considered revered people but in fact prostitutes, tax collectors, beggars, and those of religiously low status, Jesus still loved them and treated them equally no matter how the world viewed them for deciding to put aside their sinful lives to follow him.

Although it can be said that the Sawi are inconceivably evil compared to the followers of Jesus, they are nonetheless the same in Jesus' eyes and so they should be in ours. The cannibalistic traditions of the Sawi are not important. In fact, if these people opens their eyes to the love of Jesus and make a life-changing decision to follow him as their Savior, it doesn't matter in the least that they used to be murderous barbarians.

I strongly believe that Jesus wants us to show his love to the Sawi. He himself loved the hands that killed him and even asked God to forgive them "for they do not know what they are doing." Even if lives may be laid down on the path to reaching the Sawi, the deaths would open more doors into bringing them to Christ, just like the death of Jesus on the cross for all mankind.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

– 1 Corinthians 13:13

4 comments:

  brian

December 3, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Your post really stands out with the idea of 'unconditional love,' if I have interpreted your message correctly. If not, please correct me =) Anyway, it was nice to read this post because I, honestly, don't know how to specifically relate my beliefs into other issues such as the Sawi. I got a lot of inspirations and new ideas from your post. Nice work =)

  Rebecca Cole-Walker

December 3, 2008 at 7:59 PM

Nice post.. I liked your connections of between the Sawi and the question. I agreed with what you had to say and I really liked how you incorporated the Bible verse at the end. The Bible verse supported what you said and very much related to the topic of your post XD

=)

  jinhong.kim

December 3, 2008 at 8:04 PM

Hyejin, great blog post! Although I knew most of this, your blog reminded me again of how I should not be so egocentric. Love is truly what keeps our lives going although I seem to forget about it most of the time due to the busy school life. You summarized what missionaries do in a short passage. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

  Mr. Rader

December 4, 2008 at 5:32 PM

Hye Jin,

I think it is important for us to remember, especially as Christians, that the Sawi, regardless of how foreign they seem, are children of God and created in His image. At the same time they are fallen, like us, and are desperately in need of God's love and salvation. Keep reading. I think you will really relate with how the book got it's title.