Tres

What do mission organisations do for these people?



In the context of the Peace Child, varying groups of missionaries approaching tribesmen do different things in different ways. Some believe in teaching tribesmen what is modest from the start while others chose to blend in before leading them into evangelism. Despite different methods, missionaries have a common purpose: to reach out to non-believers before the commercial world does.

Now, growing up as a missionary kid, I was able to witness methods of approach to non-believing people in the modern world. Our family was part of a missionary organization coming from Korea, 'Interco-operation, IACD' and so I was able to observe some approaches to non-believers. Although the people my parents told the gospel to were not primitive cannibal tribesmen, the Uzbek people were strong Muslims and their traditions were strictly tied into the religion. The first thing our family did was live among these people. Although we weren't provided with the best home, school, or occupation, our family tried to fit in with the Uzbek culture the best we could.

My parents scheduled their first two years to study the language of Uzbekistan: Uzbek and Russian. They had to learn both languages in order to form a relationship with both people groups that resided in Uzbekistan. My parents hired Uzbek or Russian people to teach my brother and me their language and art. We also celebrated the traditional holidays with the people unless it was deeply Islamic.

My parents didn't just live among the Uzbeks and fit in; they also went out into the countryside to provide people with dental and medical help. By gaining gratitude from the people that began to heal, it was easier for my parents to tell them about Christ. My parents and Interco-operation went still further and built a dental clinic in Tashkent, the Uzbek capital, which was built on goals to receive little or no payment from patients and to train Uzbek dentists to become adroit in their field.


After my parents and the Interco-operation group started their work around 1990, the Christian population in Uzbekistan noticeably increased despite the resentment Christian Uzbeks faced from the Muslims. It still amazes me to this day that we left a significant mark on the Uzbek nation.

Relating to my own experiences and those of Don Richardson, I believe that missionaries strive to give non-Christian people of different nations a chance to learn about a different supernatural being: God. By giving aid and opportunities to learn, we try to tell people that we are here to do good things for them, not for our own benefits, but because we want to share something with them something that is great enough for us to have moved away from our home lands. Missionaries have a single purpose: to share the news of Christ. In order to fulfill this goal, every action toward non-believing people groups is done in order to show them the love of another Creator.

10 comments:

  Jin Yoo

November 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM

hey hyejin^^
I think it's really awesome that your parants were missionaries. I mean growing up you got to have a first hand look at how they could change people's lievs and stuff. Anyways~awesome post!

  Rebecca Cole-Walker

November 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM

Hey =)

I really liked your post because while reading it, I could clearly see that you directly relate to this topic. It was interesting to hear about some of your stories and experiences growing up as a missionary kid. I also found it interesting to see your opinion of what a missionaries true purpose is and how they approach others with the gospel. Moreover, I really appreciated how your parents gained the respect of the people through their actions first, and then began to bring Christ into their lives. It really shows how much your parents care about those people and I really respect that they took the effort and time to change peoples lives. XD
Thanks for sharing =)

  Jean Eun Jin Lee.

November 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM

Well-written post! Being a missionary's kid must've have influenced you greatly as a child. It is amazing to see how one group of people can change the lives of a whole society.

"Relating to my own experiences and those of Don Richardson, I believe that missionaries strive to give non-Christian people of different nations a chance to learn about a different supernatural being: God. "

I like how you worded this sentence because some Christian people around me are the opposite. I've seen some "Christians" who give no chance but more of a command to people to believe in God. I think mission organizations should make sure what their purpose is and realize what they are doing before they approach people. I think your parents were considerate of people's culture made a wise decision on how to approach them.
You make great connection to yourself in your post:]I'm looking forward to your future posts!

  jinhong.kim

November 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM

Great post. I think it is obvious that your parents were truly successful in their intentions. I really look up to people who do goodwill for others. I guess the Uzbek culture enriched your life in many ways while you have enriched theirs. But I have one question: unless Uzbekistan became 100% Christian, how would you deal with the ongoing conflict between the two religious beliefs?

  hyejin

November 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

Based on what the missionaries of Uzbeksitan said, there is nothing much we can do for the Christian Uzbeks that are fighting against their Muslim community. From the point Uzbeks accept Christ, it is an individual battle against their own friends and family. If missionaries try to help Uzbek individuals in this battle, it will only make situations worse. The only thing that missionaries can do after a helping a nonbeliever see Christ is provide teachings and shelter when it is needed.

  James Song

November 30, 2008 at 3:50 PM

From reading this post, it's amazing to hear what your family have accomplished in Uzbeckistan. I feel that you are lukcy to have someone that you can always look up to. It is also interesting to see how you grew up in such diverse culture experiencing changes in other people's lives.

  Lucia Jeong

November 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM

Thoughtful post! First of all, I thought it was amazing that your parents left a significant change in the Uzbeck nation.
I also agree with you with the fact that missionaries who bring the word of God to other cultures are remarkable beacause they give those people the opportunity to know God. I think sometimes there might be missionaries who do not have entirely pure intentions, such as those who make attempts to persuade people come to their church for money purposes. However, I know that most missionaries spread the word of God becasue they truly care and have sympathy of the people who have been "untouched". I also agree with you on the fact that there are two ways that missionaries approach people. I respect the fact that your parents showed through their actions that they truly cared, then brought to them the God's teachings.
I liked how you made connetions to your own experiences with the question :)

  Korean Cherry Blossem

November 30, 2008 at 4:17 PM

I liked your post! It's nice to have another MK in the class^^;; I have also had the chance to witness my parent's ministry firsthand and this has been such a blessing. I agree with your view on missionaries and must honestly say that it nice to read a post that is supportive of them and their work instead of calling them out for being hypocritical at times, as we all are at certain points of our lives. Your voice is very present in your blog and I appreciate your honesty. Thank you for providing an awesome blogpost.

  P

December 1, 2008 at 6:44 PM

Hyejin,

I really liked your post because it clearly shows how you directly related to this topic. It was very interesting to read your experiences in Uzbekistan as a missionary kid. Through your post, I gained a broader perspective of how missionaries work in other countries. I respect your parents for bringing Christ into the lives of the Uzbeks in a very considerate way - by first learning and accepting their native culture. I appreciate their honest, pure intentions.

-Peter

P.S. Wow, I never knew you spoke Russian! You have to teach me someday!

  African Globe Trotters.

January 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Fabulous! You shared your life and have moved so many people to react and respond. Keep up the call - It is evident that you too were called to the mission field! Mrs.Mc.